A diameter tape measure can save you a lot of time and frustration when you want to find the OD (outside diameter) of a pipe, post, or tree. This special tape has the inch scale (or metric scale) stretched out by a factor of pi (3.14159). So, if you wrap it around the pipeline, you will not see the “circumference”. You will see its diameter. You don’t need to divide your answer by 3.14159.
This Weird Diameter Tape Measure Can Make Your Life Easier
You may be part of a special group of people. We can call this group, FDTU, for “future diameter tape users”. To be in that group, you would have these three qualifications:
- You never heard of a Diameter tape measure.
- After you get one, and learn how to use it, you will use one every week for the rest of your life.
- You won’t believe how you ever got along without one.
To help you on this fun journey as a FDTU, let’s find out…
What is a diameter tape.
It is a measuring tape that, when you wrap it around the circumference of a round object (pipeline or tree), it reads the “diameter”. If you would use a regular tape measure, you would have to divide by pi (3.14159) to get the diameter.
How to use a diameter tape.
You simply wrap it around a pipe or shaft, or tree, and have the diameter scale face outward, so you can read it. Make sure you don’t use the other side, because it would give you the circumference.
What you will use it on from now on, to make your life easier.
If you need to replace a car heater hose, but you want to have the new hose on-hand before you remove the old hose, use your diameter tape to measure the diameter (and length) of the old hose. You can do the same routine when replacing plumbing.
My friend owns a marina. He never heard of a diameter tape. I gave him a diameter tape and told him what it was for. He was in the FDTU group, and now he uses this valuable diameter tape measure every day.
Are you in the FDTU Group? Now you know how a simple tape can make your life easier.
How to Measure the Diameter of a Pipe
A simple question that is often asked by workers in the pipe industries. Now here’s a simple answer: How to measure the diameter of a pipe.
- Clean the pipe off.
- Get a quality diameter tape measure.
- Wrap it around the pipe, snuggly, to give the shortest value.
- Make sure the side with the diameter scale is showing.
- Read the diameter on the scale that is at the zero mark at the beginning of the scale.
There is the simple answer, because the process really is that simple. Now you can show off by finding the diameter of a telephone pole, a tree, a radiator hose, a pencil, and a tire.
6 Common Misconceptions About The Pipe Diameter Tape Measure
The Pipe diameter tape measure is often misunderstood, and often unheard of. That’s because most people don’t need one. But if you understand what it can do, you would probably use one.
- It’s too hard to use. False. All you do it wrap it around the pipe and read the diameter right off the tape.
- It’s too bulky to carry in my pocket. False. Many are no bigger than 1 1/2 inches square, and 1/4 ” thick.
- I can’t find any at the hardware store. False. Try an online store. They are out there.
- It’s not accurate. False. The simple pocket Lufkin diameter tape is accurate to the 100th of an inch of diameter.
- It’s no better than using a regular tape and dividing by pi. False. Due to the calibration and the location of the zero mark, it is made specifically to measure pipe diameters.
- It is not useful for the everyday person. False. You can measure the diameter of a tree, a hose in your car or boat, your furnace pipe, or plumbing in your home. Want to find out the diameter of that water pipe in your basement, so you can replace it? And you don’t want to cut it to measure it? Use a Pipe diameter tape measure.
The Best Portable Pipe Measuring Tape
Portable pipe measuring tapes are used by workers and inspectors in the oil and gas drilling industries. Also by plumbers, tree arborists, and hvac workers. These people need to know the diameter of an installed pipe, without having the luxury of seeing an open end. All these people need a pipe measuring tape in their pocket.
The best tape for this job is made by the Lufkin company, and we sell a ton of them with corporate logos imprinted on them in full color. So, treat yourself to the best; get a Lufkin pipe measuring tape.
W906PDC Lufkin Diameter Tape
Who Uses A Pipe Diameter Tape Measure?
Most people never heard of a pipe diameter tape measure. But some people use them every day in their job. Who are these people?
- Oil and gas drillers
- Pipe fitters
- Car Mechanics
- Boat repair Mechanics
- Water department workers
- Oil line pipe repair men
- Gas line pipe repair men
- Tree people, arborists
- Tree nurserymen
How to Measure the Diameter of a Pipe
I always enjoy explaining how to measure the diameter of a pipe. Doing the measuring actually takes less time than explaining it. It’s easy, too, because the pipe diameter tape does all the work for you. It takes about 10 seconds to do this little task. All you do is wrap the od tape (diameter tape) around the pipe or pipeline, and read off the diameter directly from the tape. The video found here in the header picture pretty much shows you how simple it is.
This is a valuable tool for people in the oil and gas drilling business, automotive repair, boat repair, tree people, arborists, tree nurserymen, landscapers, and anyone who needs to know the diameter of a round object. This allows you to find the diameter without cutting it and measuring the diameter directly.
Light Up Christmas With A Maglite Engraved With Your Company Name
‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the woods, not a tree was lit, and decorations weren’t there. If it weren’t for the snow, the branches would be bare.
Then along came an elf, with Maglites galore, and lit up the night in the forest and more.
Rejoice in the light, there is no need to fear, for the darkness is gone, and you’re safety is near. The only thing left is for you to exclaim, “Let me have my Maglite engraved, of course with my name.”