A diameter tape measure can save you a lot of time and frustration when you want to find the OD (outside diameter) of a pipe, post, or tree. This special tape has the inch scale (or metric scale) stretched out by a factor of pi (3.14159). So, if you wrap it around the pipeline, you will not see the “circumference”. You will see its diameter. You don’t need to divide your answer by 3.14159.
Month: December 2018
How Tally Books Are Constructed
Tally Books are used by workers and inspectors in the oil and gas industries. These books are made rugged for outdoor use. Here is how they are constructed:
- For stiffness, we start with chipboard. This is the solid gray “cardboard” material that cereal boxes are made out of.
- The 2 pieces of chipboard (front and back of the tally book) are covered with a colored vinyl for protection from the elements. Vinyl comes in a variety of colors. The inside layer is usually the same color as the outside layer.
- To hold the paper pad (or stone pad), we add a front and back clear pocket. So the first and last page of the pad are slid into those two pockets. For durability, the first and last page are made of heavier paper. This pad is held in place just like the check register in your vinyl checkbook.
- Not in this order, the imprinting is done on the outside cover and the inside pockets.
- Printing is done in 3 different ways: Screen printing, Hotstamping, Full-color imprinting.
- Sometimes we add a clear vinyl pen loop on the side. We can also add an insert. It has 3 clear vinyl pockets so that you can add papers and cards of your choosing.
Tally Books are made and printed in the USA.
How Is A Maglite Engraved?
Christmas is a popular time of year to give a Maglite engraved with your company logo.
The Maglite® is professionally laser engraved like most other gift items:
- The torch is cleaned, or inspected for the absence of surface contamination.
- It is placed in a jig, so that the imprint area is in the right place when it is place in the laser machine.
- The flashlight/jig combination is place in the cradle of the laser machine
- The door is closed.
- According to previous tests, the operator sets the appropriate laser power, speed, PPI (resolution, or dots per inch), depth, and number of passes.
- The type of imprint also determines the setting. A photograph requires different settings than line art.
- Without getting into further detail, it is best to leave laser engraving to the professionals.