Maglites are the best USA-Made flashlight. They are built tough, and will last a lifetime. But, here are 5 secrets you probably didn’t know about Maglite Flashlights.
- LED (the bulb on an LED Maglite, or any LED flashlight) doesn’t last forever. It doesn’t burn out. It just gets dimmer and dimmer with age. Don’t worry. Depending on your usage, it should remain very bright till a time between 50 years and 2,000 years from now.
- Maglites® are designed to be highly water resistant. However, they are not advertised to be waterproof.
- Maglites® are not tested to be explosion-proof or intrinsically safe. Some workers who use a flashlight in highly volatile environments need that type of flashlight.
- There are flashlights made for that purpose.
- Old and weak alkaline batteries can damage your Maglite® just as they can damage any other flashlight. Maglites® are built tough, but guarding against a leaky battery is above and beyond the call of duty. Many battery manufacturers have a repair/replacement policy if your flashlight is damaged by one of their leaky batteries.
- The ANSI standard of rating the power of flashlights was started only in 2009. Mag Instrument has agreed to abide by the ANSI standard, and rates its flashlights so you can compare one with another. ANSI stands for American National Standards Institute. The parameters used are:
- Beam Distance in Meters
- Peak Beam Intensity in Candela
- Run Time in Hours/Minutes
- Light Output in Lumens
You can find more detailed information on the Maglite® website.